Sunday, September 16, 2007

Why down syndrome?

I have had a lot of people asking why at my age(just 42...think thats the new 32!!) and why down syndrome. I think the best way to explain it is...Why Not?! Just like with a pregnancy, you do not know the health of your child until it is born. You would love that child no matter what! We first started looking at adoption when we had seen a documentary on Romanian orphanages. We started looking, and kept seeing Zechariah. We immediately felt a connection with him! I have never met Zechariah, but love him as much as I do any of my kids!
"Rhonda", you're saying, "you can't save the world". Well, no, but we can start with one. If someone from every family in the world helped one child, there would be no orphanages! For whatever reason, the Lord has kept putting people with special needs around us over the last few years. Now, he is allowing one to be part of our family!! How exciting, and how could we not be obedient? Do I think we are a blessing to Zechariah, yes; however, I feel he will be much more of a blessing to us and anyone who spends time with him!!

2 comments:

amyl4 said...

I love your blog and I am so happy that you will be Zechariah's forever family!
Amy
Mom to
Jimmy 20 DS
Ben 16
Caleb almost 5 DS (adopted from Russia in 2005)

Shelley said...

We too chose a child with Down syndrome & brought him home less than a month ago. Congratulations on your decision to adopt. We will pray that the process goes quickly and easily for your family and that Zechariah will soon be home with his forever family!